Copyright © 2017, Paul Scrivens-Smith

Copyright © 2017, Paul Scrivens-Smith

All rights reserved. This work may not be reproduced, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of the creator.

Sunday, 23 February 2014

Moroccan Regulares for Chain of Command


Enthused by the recent Spanish Civil War Chain of Command games that I have been having with James it was time to build a force of my own.

James already has quite a bit of SCW stuff so I did not want to duplicate any of his forces so I chose to do a platoon of Moroccan Regulares. The figures are all from the Empress Spanish Civil War range.

I painted them as follows:

Trousers: 824 - German Cam. Orange Ochre.
Shirt: 976 - Buff.
Puttees: 881 - Yellow Green.
Coat / rolled coat: Some 881 - Yellow Green.
Coat / rolled coat: Some 875 - Beige Brown striped with 921 - English Uniform.
Flesh: 875 - Beige Brown.
Carbine stock: 875 - Beige Brown.
Sash, Tarbusch : 875 - Beige Brown then 926 - Red.
Turban & shoes: 837 - Pale Sand.
Leather equipment & soles: 940 - Saddle Brown.
Beards & tassel on tarbusch: 950 - Black.
Metal fittings: 950 - Black.
Rifle Butt: Brass

After the base coat a wash of Vallejo Sepia Wash was applied and then highlights:

Trousers: 824 - German Cam. Orange Ochre then adding 837 - Pale Sand
Shirt: 976 - Buff then adding 837 - Pale Sand
Puttees: 881 - Yellow Green then adding 837 - Pale Sand
Coat / rolled coat: Some 881 - Yellow Green then adding 837 - Pale Sand
Coat / rolled coat: Some 875 - Beige Brown then adding 837 - Pale Sand, The 921 - English Uniform were just painted over and not highlighted.
Flesh: 875 - Beige Brown mixed with 860 Medium Fleshtone then adding a little 918 - Ivory
Carbine stock: 875 - Beige Brown then adding 837 - Pale Sand
Sash, Tarbusch : 926 - Red.
Turban & shoes: 837 - Pale Sand then highlight with 918 - Ivory
Leather equipment & soles: 940 - Saddle Brown then adding 837 - Pale Sand
Beards & tassel on tarbusch: 862 - Black Grey
Metal fittings: 950 - Black 950 mixed with Gunmetal Grey: 863
Rifle Butt: Brass

I did the bases with small patches of coarse grit and filled in with pumice gel painted Field Drab, once dried this was dry-brushed first with Dark Sand and then Pale Sand. The edge of the base was cleaned up with Field Drab then small patches of tuft, cork, clump and static grass were stuck on.

Here are some extreme close-ups: