I'm still working my way through the Barons'' War lead mountain/pile of potential although the pickings are now a lot slimmer, there are some lovely models available.
All the bases are from Warbases, their 70x40 vehicle bases work rather well for larger command groups, while for the figure bases I use 2mm thick circular with magnet holes.
A command stand to represent a mounted King Henry III in our 2nd Barons' War games.
The King figure is King John from Footsore, but I think does credible double duty as his son!
The accompanying Bishop is also from Footsore, while the bannerman is from Crusader Miniatures and the flag staff is a Northstar spear.
The three lions passant decals are again from Footsore. But I really don't like them, way too thin, too little pigment and I practically only use them for the geometry and end up over painting them anyways as they are so bad.
Another command stand representing a Bishop, this one is the Footsore Stephen Langton painted as such, but not a character in the 2nd Barons' War so will likely just be used as a vignette rather than a character.
This Footsore foot knight is painted to represent Peter de Moutfort, a close ally, but not a relation of Simon de Montfort. He was slain at the Battle of Evesham.
The bannerman is another Crusader Miniatures one and the banner pole a Northstar spear.
Robin Hood and the Maid Marion, both from Footsore. Robin is on a 30mm base that will allow me to use him as a Champion in our Midgard games, Marion is on the standard 20mm base that I use for foot rank and file.
Four more filthy peasants with spears. One appears to have ideas above is station and has a livery jacket!
Another anget monk and a townsman with club.
I've painted these six to use as random characters and townsfolk during our games.
The Catweazle figure would make a rather splendid hermit or village idiot.
The guy gesturing with open hand a village elder or market store holder.
The third makes a rather nice pilgrim.
The William Marshall figure, an older knight or lord giving counsel.
Peasant woman feeding the chooks.
Noble lady organizing the militia to defend a breech!
Lastly a vignette of a peasant threshing the wheat, the wattle fences are from Renedra.






















Lovely stuff as always!
ReplyDeleteThank you Phil
DeleteGreat stuff, need to see a full review of your whole collection, must be of an impressive size
ReplyDeleteThanks Neil, currently James Morris has custody, he borrowed it for the play testing and photos for the "À Montfort! À Montfort!" supplement. I hope to be reunited in the fairly near future and do a complete "on parade" review.
DeleteI really like your subdued palette of colours. And always great to have a Catweazle reference. I chose the exact miniature for a D&D hermit wizard quickly outraged by any slurs directed at his toad familiar. Even if Touchwood lacks the obvious advantages of other creatures.
ReplyDeleteThank you, I try to make the colours look like available natural dyes and never use white, Ivory does a lot of the heavy lifting here :D
DeleteNice choice for a D&D wizard
Very nice work!
ReplyDeleteSuper work, what a cracking collection you are building, so many lovely miniatures.
ReplyDelete