|Tonights' arena of battle|
I set out some terrain with a village in one corner and most of the table covered in jungle terrain.
I had picked the following two forces, both totaling around 900pts each:
Japanese (all Veterans):
|Adie becomes one of Tojos for tonight|
- Rikugun Chui with Sword & Pistol, plus an additional soldier with Sword & Pistol.
- Medic with a shovel.
- One infantry section, NCO with Type 100 SMG, six infantrymen with Ariska rifles, one infantryman with Type 99 LMG.
- Three infantry sections each, NCO with Ariska rifle, six infantrymen with Ariska rifles, one infantryman with Type 99 LMG.
- Three light mortar teams with Type 89 Grenade Launchers*.
- MMG team with Type 92 MMG.
- Sniper team with Type 97 Sniper Rifle.
* As a typical Japanese infantry platoon field three of these I allow three grenade launchers to be taken as a single support option for the platoon.
British (all Regular)
- First Lieutenant with Sten gun, plus an additional soldier with Mk4 jungle carbine.
- Artillery observer with Thompson SMG.
- Four infantry squads each of a NCO with Sten or Thompson SMG, eight infantrymen with a SMLE and an infantryman with Bren Gun
- Light mortar team with 2" mortar
- Flame thrower team
- Machine gun team with Vickers MMG
- Sherman V Tank
|Japanese troops cover the objective|
|Short lived type 92 MMG|
The preliminary bombardment was quite effective, with two pin markers on each of Adies sections, plus the infantry section lost a man.
|Sherman V from Probyns Horse secures our right flank|
The British continued well and the Type 92 MMG was destroyed and the other infantry section contesting the objective was carrying three pin markers. Adie withdrew the battered troops from the objectives while his reinforcements came up. I occupied the two jungle thickets and was sitting pretty on the objective.
The I had deployed section on my left was hard pressed, but managed to hold off against the Japanese, the 50mm grenade launchers do not get many hits, but they do mean that you tend to give advance orders rather than fire orders so as not to suffer the effects when you do get hit. I committed the flamethrower to this fight and although it piled on the pin markers it did not get any kills.
|Japanese occupy the village|
The Sherman was very effective against any Japanese caught in the open, with two MMG (I never saw a reason to fire the 75mm) it was putting down eight very effective dice down.
|First Banzai charge of the game|
I took quite a few images during the game, here are a selection. The majority of the figures are from The Assault Group with some Bolt Action Chindits where there is not a TAG option available. They were all painted by myself and the terrain was all put together by me.
|British squad holds a thicket|
|Action on the left flank|
|The Japanese right|
|Sherman V in action|
|That Sherman V again|
|Deadly 50mm grenade launchers|
|Japanese advance past the village|
|More shots of those Japanese|