Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

All rights reserved. This work may not be reproduced, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of the creator.

Tuesday 26 March 2019

Hundred Years War: English (11)


While working on the French infantry I was also busy painting my last eighteen English archers that I assembled in sunny Florida while on vacation earlier this month. Fifteen of them were completed last week and made up part of my final entry in the 2019 Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge while the rest were done at the weekend.

As is my way lately these are not just made up from the Perry Miniatures 'English army' set but also include many bodies and heads from the 'French infantry' set as well as some components from the 'Mounted Knights' set.


I think the ability to intermingle the different sets does give a lot of variety to the builds that you can achieve.

These eighteen figures are painted in a mix of small batches in the same livery, while many are painted as individuals. Whereas some of my archer units have a common colour scheme these are meant to represent a rag-tag of troops thrown together in to ad hoc groups for the battle.


I painted 18 of these, even though my units typically are organised in twelves as I already had another group of eighteen done in a previous batch so six of these can be fielded with six of those to form a unit, else the groups of 18 could be used as large units for our Hail Caesar games.

As usual, each figure is individually mounted on a 20mm Renedra round base and then grouped on a movement tray that was a custom order to Warbases.


As they are all individually mounted as well as using them for big battles I can also remove them and use for skirmish games.

Here is a front and back shot of each of the individuals, the variety of poses does show some of the dynamic effects you can achieve by mixing and matching all the boxes.

The 'Cross of St. George' field sign is much in evidence, either on a white badge or sewn directly to the aketon.







I'm now on to painting the masses of foot men at arms I am going to need for this project, likely another dozen shall be needed for the English but I think about 36 more shall be done for the French

9 comments:

  1. Don't know why, but I prefer your French guys...Just kiddind, beautiful ones, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, I understand you may have a bias ;)

      Delete
  2. very nice work on those - look the business!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look great. I expect Kenneth Branagh to step forward between them at any moment and start the St. Crispin Day’s speech :-)

    ReplyDelete