Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

All rights reserved. This work may not be reproduced, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of the creator.

Wednesday 30 March 2022

Weirdboy and Beast Snaggas for the Mob

 
More reinforcements for Waaagh Scrivs with a Weirdboy and another unit of Beast Snaggas.


Although I think it's painted up OK, the Weirdboy model is horrible. I feel that I paid seventeen quid for a lump of anonymous resin and then had to carve a Weirdboy from it.


Has anybody told Games Workshop that resin casting techniques have come on a lot in the intervening years?

Anyways, my mob now has a bit of psychic punch and he did ok in the last game.


Also added was another mob of Beast Snaggas, I enjoyed painting the previous mob a lot and felt it warranted doing another.



These are great models, and unlike the Boyz they don't all need to be made in a specific way. For well over half of the models you can swap around the arms and heads.


I took this approach with the Boss I built. This is a really gnarly veteran, missing two limbs, has a plate in his head and another on his abdomen, this is  a scarred veteran of many fights who has been patched up by the Painboyz and sent back in.


I'm still using contrast paints but have been developing a few new techniques, on this ones animal skin, some sort of reptilian cloak, I did Creed Camo over my zenithal highlights, but then went back over many areas to highlight, repainting them in an off-white base then applying a 50:50 mix of Creed Camo and Contrast Medium.


I quite like how that effect came out and I used it on a few of the other models too.


The next trio are the chap with the Thump Gun and a couple of standard Beast Snagga boyz.

Like the Boss, I used a similar technique on the Thump Gun chap, this time from a base of Aggaros Dunes. I like how the rust effects have come out on these too.




For the second trio, I show a couple of custom builds, one with twin shootas and one with twin choppas demonstrating how the mixing and maxing of arms can achieve a bit of variety.

The lizard skin effect in this one did not use the thinned highlight, instead a base of Levidon Blue was 
edge highlighted and these areas reapplied with Talassar Blue




In this final trio, I thought that I should try some stripy pants to see how the Contrast Colour worked with them, it's a mix of Talassar Blue and Iyanden Yellow.

Rather fancy for an Ork, but I reckon he once 'et an 'Arlequin and turned out a bit funny.




These chaps will get their first game in tomorrow against James's Iron Hands, let's see how that works out.

6 comments: