Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

All rights reserved. This work may not be reproduced, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of the creator.

Saturday 26 June 2021

Let's get the band back together - Warring States Chinese

 

Next weekend I've signed up to play in a Warhammer Ancient Battles event over at Mansfield Wargames Club. Nearly all of my figures are in a container somewhere in transit, but, I did have my venerable Chinese in storage here in the UK. 

I had attempted, unsuccessfully, to sell the lot before I moved, but ended up only selling a few bits and bobs so would need a replenishment draft. Consequently, I made a swift order to the chaps at First Corps


Number one on the list was to replace the Army Musician. In the Art of War book it's only supposed to be a single figure, but, if we are going to get the band back together., lets make it a four piece.


Although I painted the original force over ten years ago now and have changed my technique quite a lot since then, I think I've managed to capture a similar style.


I did not have a bolt thrower as a part of the original force but decided that I should add one for the upcoming event. 


It's a lovely model and goes well in the dark red, dark grey and cream theme of the rest of the force.


I also wanted a unit of Straw Dogs in the force, and as part of the Sung range Curteys have some villages that can be used as refugees from a rebel village driven before the advancing army. 


The Straw Dogs will also need some weaponry beyond agricultural implements and walking sticks, so these pair each have a wheelbarrow full of concealed weaponry.



It's been fun revisiting this venerable project. There are at least another four or five unpainted units in the lead pile and maybe I can be tempted into adding the chariots back that I sold.

29 comments:

  1. Great work Scrivs. Good to see the band back together :)
    I look forward to crossing swords with you next weekend.
    Best wishes,
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Splendid additions, particularly like the beat combo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look fantastic Paul! I quit selling my painted figures awhile back, because every time I did I ended up regretting it and wishing I had them back at some point.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher
      I don't usually regret selling collections when they have run their course, more usual regret from selling parts of collections

      Delete
  4. Those are marvellous, nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely thought out and well executed....have fun on the table with them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully painted Chinese, Scrivs. Wow, so a WAB game day at the same club as the 2013's WAB GT? Nice - wish I could be there. I still remember you hosting a Bolt Action game for me and Pat a few nights later. Great memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, it's not the same location, but near to it. Pat is in the UK this month and I spoke to him yesterday, hopefully he and I can meet up in a week or two

      Delete
  7. Great stuff, if a bit unexpected. 1st army 1 ever bought was a Tang one from Essex. So long ago it cost £15 for the whole army. Still got them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Martin. I remember buying a 25mm Tibetan force from Irregular for a similar amount

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous army, and camp, very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great additions to the collection Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are all really very nice, but the bang tops the lot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely toys Paul…
    I do like the band… especially the guy with the symbols.. just waiting for his big moment 😁

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like these figures...look forward to seeing a report of them in action....

    ReplyDelete