Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

All rights reserved. This work may not be reproduced, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of the creator.

Thursday 18 January 2024

Adding to the ACW Scenery

 

A couple of years ago I noticed that chum Richard was selling a Renedra ramshackle barn that had been sat in his pile of shame for a a few years so I purchased it from him, and as is the way with these things it just sat in my own pile of shame.


Over the break for the Holidays, enthused by the unit of Confederate infantry I was painting I decided it was time to break the barn out of the pile and get it sorted.

It was a very quick build and was soon ready for a spray of primer, followed by a coat of Contrast Wyldwood on the walls and Black Templar on the roof, I also added a liberal splash of Militaruim Green for mouldy patches. Once dry I added some brown shades to the walls and grey shades to the roof. 


The kit comes with some nice extras like an abandoned wagon wheel, a pair of ladders and a pair of pitchforks. I also added a base and some plant growth up the barn using Woodland Scenic bushes.

Suitably enthused for adding to the ACW terrain I ordered some fences from my local gaming store, which luckily for me is the gaming Megastore Noble Knight Games.


They had in stock one pack of the Renedra Cross & Rail Fencing which although are a pain to build they do take a relatively simple paint job well. A spray of dark brown primer then a couple of highlights.



I also picked up their last three packs of the Renedra Worm Fencing. These are OK but have some horrendous mould lines and don't fit together that well. As I was building them I decided that they would benefit from adding some uprights in the angles and also making some of the ends taper off. 





In the end, for the six pieces I did three "middle" sections, two sections that taper off at the left end and two sections that taper off at the right end.

17 comments:

  1. You made a great job on the barn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrain is always a good investment
    And for the ACW you always need more fences than you've got

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James, more fences on order and winging their way....

      Delete
  3. A lovely piece of real estate Paul…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  4. The barn is a great piece, so useful on the table. Terrain is always a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From one pile of shame to another🙂 great result with the contrast, is that put on a grey promer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Norm. It was Rustoleum Camo Sand primer.

      Delete
  6. Superb terrain, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. I can also see them in earlier engagements in North America.

    ReplyDelete