Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

All rights reserved. This work may not be reproduced, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of the creator.

Tuesday 23 January 2024

Royal Navy landing party


For this years Painting challenge I wanted to complete the "Maritime" location. 

I remembered that in the pile o' shame were some Brigade Games Royal Navy Landing Party that I had picked up several years ago when I made this entry back for Challenge IX. 

The figures have languished ever since, but as this years challenge for me is really about clearing that backlog of lead and plastic and they were dug out for completion.


I decided to use Citadel Contrast Paints over VMC light grey surface primer on these and I think I may rue that decision as they have not come out with the best of finishes. 


Some close-ups of the chaps, lovely sculpts by Paul Hicks, but you can see where the Contrast Colours have not worked that well.





 They may never see a game, but at least it's some clearance of the lead mountain.

4 comments:

  1. Surely thier fate is not to be ignored. Too nice by far, and obviously set for a lark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I suspect a Sharpe Practice scenario will see them included.

      Delete
  2. Very nice figures Paul but I think I agree with you - for a painter of your talent and skill, the contrast paints don't equal what you can achieve with more traditional methods.
    I have not tried speed or contrast paints yet (partly because I am too mean to invest anything more than a paltry amount in changing to a different type of paint) and I am happy with how my figures turn out, the way I paint them now (which can vary from week to week, even in the same collection, as I tend to experiment or try slightly different techniques on a regular basis - but not contrasts!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Contrast Paints are a tool in the toolkit, but certainly not my go-to but can be useful if you want to churn something out.

      Delete