Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

All rights reserved. This work may not be reproduced, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of the creator.

Sunday 15 March 2015

Barbed wire for our WWI games



I've been steadily putting together some barbed wire sections for our WWI games and have gotten quite a routine together now with about 36" of double sections done now - 72" if you want it to look like a farmers fence.


All the materials are quite cheap and readily available. You can get 6m of the wire from Northstar for £3.50 and that is probably the most expensive component. I've used nearly two of these so far.

Other materials are:

  • Mitre Bond (available from Screwfix Direct)
  • Bamboo skewers
  • Mounting board cut into rough rectangles about 3" x 4"
  • Pumice gel



Using my sprue cutters I cut the skewers into ~30mm lengths, it does not matter if they are all different sizes, I think that looks better. Sand the ends flat.


Put a couple of blobs of glue on the the mounting card. The glue with the Mitre Bond is a high viscosity super-glue.


Hold two of the posts in place and give them a blast with the accelerator.


Now do another two blobs of glue. I do my wire in 'V' shapes I don't want them to look like Farmer Giles fences on the battlefield.


Again, a couple more posts and a blast with the accelerator. This sets the glue like concrete in about ten seconds.


Most of my bases have four posts, although some have five and some three to allow a planked walkway through the wire.


I then cut out rough shapes around the posts, cut quite close to them so that they can but up quite close.


We can now make a start with the wire.


First I do the bottom strand, wrapping it around each post


I then do a middle strand alternating between the bottom and top of each post, then do the top strand. A small blob of super-glue where each wire is attached to the post.

The bases are then given a coat of Pumice Gel although I forgot to take a photo of that.


The bottom of the bases are then given a coat of paint, this both seals them and helps prevent warping, although you will still get a bit.


The tops are then painted brown, I use Dulux tester pots for this as it's far cheaper than model paints. This one is Dulux "Wicker Dream 1" about £3.00 for 250ml


The posts are painted Chocolate Brown


The wire is painted Beige Brown


The bases are given a highlight of Flat Earth


Then another with 4 parts Flat Earth to 1 part Dark Sand


Final highlight of 2 parts Flat Earth to 1 part Dark and


The wire is then given a wash of Red Orange

The wire in action in our recent game







No comments:

Post a Comment