Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

All rights reserved. This work may not be reproduced, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of the creator.

Tuesday 30 June 2020

4e Régiment de Chevaux-légers (Lanciers)


It seems that I am one of lifes natural infantrymen, whenever I paint cavalry it seems such a chore and takes longer than expected. Looking back through the blog archive there always seems to be a greater time period between the previous post and a cavalry post than between any other post and a non-cavalry post.


Enough about my obvious distaste for painting those cavalry bastards, here are a dozen of them representing the 4th Regiment of Chevaux-legers at Waterloo.


These are all from the Warlord Games French Line Lancers set.


They are well cast and go together well, but there is only one type of frame in the box with two lancers and two horse halves so the poses are lot more samey than a box of Perry plastics where there are at least three of each horse halves and the heads are separate.


There is a nice bag of metals in the box, so I was able to make one of the cavalry an Eagle bearer and another a bugler. The metal cavalry colonel is currently being painted as up as one of my light cavalry generals for our games.


Be wary about using the box art as a painting reference, the pennants should be red over white, not the other way around and they should not have red crests on their helmets.


The figures are a little wide, I like to put my cavalry on a 20mm frontage per figure and these would have been better on 25mm bases, I did a bit of jiggling and this unit's six bases will only rank up one way.


All in all though I'm quite happy how they turned out and they make a change from Hussars which is the core of my current force light cavalry.


You never know, I may even get a game in with them one of these days.



27 comments:

  1. You may drag your feet on painting cavalry but they are a pleasure to see when they make it off your painting desk. Great looking lancers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking figures Paul. I like you have a distaste for painting cavalry, it is a chore at times and I loose interest to quickly.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking Lancers and great paint job as always. I find cavalry tedious too, I think because of painting horses. I've been reduced to doing a basic paint job without highlights, but that is 15mm. I'm not sure that will pass in 25s.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jim, I don't mind doing the horses and quite like adding the layers, maybe it's the high-falutin' riders that are the problem.

      Delete
    2. I think you're on to something as they tend to be a more complicated paint job with all the acoutrements, schbraques and sbretsches.

      Jim

      Btw I know I spelled all of those wrong. 😉

      Delete
    3. I think you are supposed to spell them wrong ;)

      Delete
  4. They look great and I feel your pain on painting cavalry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love them Paul.

    I love painting horses but they do take a bloomin' long time. They're a nice sojourn from the intricacies of the cavalryman :)

    [Note to self- buy some backgrounds!]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darrel, Victoria painted the background for me,.

      Delete
  6. Most beautiful regiment Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very fine looking cavalry Paul, I like painting horses it's the riders that are a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work on those Paul

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking good Paul...
    This is one of my favourite Napoleonic uniforms...
    like most people have said...I enjoy painting the horses... it’s all the fuss and feathers that takes the time... the end result is always worth it though.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice job, Paul! They are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking Lancers, Scrivs. Definitely a unit that needs to be part of the 100 Days campaign.

    ReplyDelete