Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

All rights reserved. This work may not be reproduced, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of the creator.

Monday 11 November 2019

American Civil War: Union (16)


This weeks painting output is a unit of 24 Zouaves representing companies from the 74th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment.

The figures are all from the Perry Miniatures American Civil War Zouaves box set and as ever with their output are a very well sculpted dynamic set to work with.


I had planned to paint these as part of last years Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge, but there was always an excuse to not get started on them, but a couple of weeks ago I set my resolve and made a start.

I'm quite happy with how they came out, but they are a lot more effort to paint than standard Union infantry in sack coat and trousers, I have just made a start though on a second unit of Zouaves and hope to have those done in a few weeks, although visitors from the UK will somewhat curtail my painting time.

Here are a few close-ups of the individual figures.


I experimented a little with the paints on these and used the Army Painter Red tone on the reds and I'll certainly do so again, I especially do like the richness it gives to the pantaloons.


The flags are from Warflag which is a great resource for such things.











28 comments:

  1. Superb brushwork, Paul! Zouaves provide some needed color to ACW armies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work, Scrivs! Just love this set - hope you'll be doing Tiger Zouaves too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, I don't think I could face all those stripes....

      Delete
  3. Marvelous work on these dashing Zouaves :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these figures and how you've bought them to life. They look cracking and dashing. When I was a reenactor, I always wanted to be part of a Zouave unit but couldn't afford the uniform. I have this set and you've given me some enthusiasm to want to paint them now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MP, when I reenacted I liked the drab, must be the latent peasant in me ;)

      Delete
  5. Splendid looking toys Paul...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! Those look great Paul. Great painting. Those will surely make the Rebs break and run.

    What rules are you planning to use them for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My main go-to for ACW at the moment is Sharp Practice, but I've now gotten so much stuff painted that we played Longstreet last week.

      Delete
  7. Great looking iconic troops, nicely done!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am surprised by the sub-heading to your blog Paul. I find it nice that Raúl cross-posts to reports of some of our games. He always provides a link and it brings loads of additional people to see the original post. None of them ever seem to comment, apart from on the TMP version, which always seems a bit strange, but is of no real matter.
    I have often emailed him directly to thank him for bringing attention to a game of ours.
    Anyway, I was just surprised enough to see it that I felt it warranted comment. Clearly you have a completely different impression of it! :)
    Yours respectfully,
    James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James,

      I think Tango01 steals users content and posts it without approbation. Anybody who is a cursory browser of TMP would think that he is painting the figures and playing the games.

      He could have the decency to credit the originator of the content and when somebody replies with a comment to one of his inane posts rather than saying thank you as he does he should be taking the 'yes this chap is a very talented painter....'
      I'd be happy if he just stopped stealing my content and passing it off as his own.
      BTW. Did he link this post to?

      Delete
    2. No, no. I came to your blog via a comment that you made on Jeremy's (Marauders) blog.
      Your strong comment at the top leaped off the page at me!
      I understand your point of view, but will continue to differ. I think his intentions are to bring blog content to those who look at TMP..

      Lovely Zouaves above, by the way! :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks James, there is another unit on the painting table at the moment, you may see them here first or Tango may have already posted them on TMP ;)

      Delete