Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

All rights reserved. This work may not be reproduced, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of the creator.

Friday 14 August 2020

11ème Régiment de Chasseurs à Cheval

I noted on Sundays post that I had set aside painting some French cavalry to crack on with my first Kings German Legion unit, after finishing those I went back to the Chasseurs à Cheval that were pretty completed as far as the base-coats went.

Progress was so good that I reckon these were finished a couple of days ahead of schedule.

I base-coat the horses first and give a wash of AP Strong Tone, then basecoat the riders and stick them on their mounts before also giving the riders a wash of Strong Tone too. Once the wash has dried I paint the highlights on the riders and mounts two at a time, so the unit is finished in six fairly short sessions.

This unit represents the 11th Regiment of Chasseurs à Cheval that were a part of Grouchy's 1st Cavalry Reserve Corps.

Like the previous unit of Chasseurs à Cheval all the figures are from the Perry Miniatures and are from the French Line Chasseurs a Cheval 1808-15 set with the exception of the officers horse which comes from the French Hussars set. I thought it would be better to have a slight difference on each units officers mounts so they were not too samey.

Like the last lot there are a mix of Spencer jackets and Kinski coats on top with overalls and breeches down below.

Again, I really did enjoy churning these out, maybe I've found some cavalry that I don't consider a pain in the arse to paint.

I did note that while editing the photos that the officers horse had a patch of static grass stuck to his tail, this has since been picked off. Also, looking at them now I think I paired the officer with the wrong trooper, this one looks like he's about to slash his saber across the officers face.


This is four units of light cavalry painted now so likely constitutes a division so I better order a horse artillery battery for them when I next put a Perry order together.

These also constitute the last French unit I have in the painting backlog, there are a few characters, commanders and personalities, but this is it for French units. I've just ordered another set of French line infantry though, so I can bring the infantry strength up to a couple of  brigades.

 

With the French completed for now I'm going to concentrate on painting more Anglo-Allied troops with another battalion of KGL on deck although a couple of French commanders may sneak in front of them.

21 comments:

  1. Super looking cav, Paul! You have become a painting machine. I, too, hate discovering flock hangers-on after a photo session.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, looks like I was a little sloppy with the tacky adhesive, I just picked off another bit of grass while putting them away this morning.

      Delete
  2. Another splendid unit, you are galloping along at a fair lick with your Naps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil, another ten or so units and I'll likely have enough for a game.

      Delete
  3. Really super, Paul! I love the Perry plastic Naps, have picked up a few regiments, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful looking chasseurs, Scrivs. Nice variety of headgear too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dean, there are stacks of options in this box.

      Delete
  5. Splendid looking chasseurs! I really like the mix as well, they look like they're on campaign!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are certainly coming along at a good old rate with these...
    I’m sure you will need a parade soon...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, I think that the French are (for now) very close to being finished. I have a command base to do and then will likely do an "On Parade"

      Delete
  7. Lovely Paul, great horse variation on those!

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete