Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

All rights reserved. This work may not be reproduced, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of the creator.

Friday 25 December 2020

The Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge XI begins

 


Seasons Greetings from Scrivsland.

The Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge XI has now been running a few days so I thought I ought to update Scrivsland with the progress so far.

My first entry was a small group of Napoleonic French officers and ADC's

All three figures are from Perry Miniatures, the two on foot from the Line Infantry Officers advancing set and the one on horseback from the Mounted ADC’s pack.


Day two of the Challenge saw me venture into the Chambers of Challenge for some bonus points with my entry for The Aquifier with a duckpond of all things!


The base is a 80x60mm MDF, also from Warbases the banks around the pond were built up using Polyfiller and a few loose rocks added, one of which in the pond.


For the water effect I painted the bottom of the pond a very dark muddy brown and added a couple of glazes of dark green, once that was dry the pond was filled with heavy acrylic gel and allowed to dry overnight before the reeds and ducks were stuck in place.


The ducks were also from Warbases, I'm really happy how the whole thing came out.


Day three saw me earning more bonus points in the Chambers of Challenge with my tenuously linked entry for The Golem’s Haunt.


I planned to use some left over pieces to make another Brigade commander for the Napoleonic collection so this gave me a good opportunity.


Each of the figures is made up of components from at least two of the Perry plastic sets, both the Hussars and Chasseurs a Cheval and they are painted as from the 7th Hussars.


The standard is from GMB Designs.


The final entry before my break for the Holidays is another Chambers of Challenge entry, with Hugh Jarse in The Chamber of Darkness.


The figure was a give-away by Too Fat Lardies and I already have one painted up in my Burma collection.


This figure is straight out of the Commando comics of my youth with his gangster Thompson SMG with drum magazine, perfect for being captured in greyscale.

The figure is done from a base of VMC Basalt Grey, Black Gray and Pale Gray (sorry no Neutral Grey) followed by a glaze of Black Grey then worked back up with basecoat and highlights. I was not too happy how the flesh came out so that was gone over again with a thin wash of Tamiya Smoke so he looked less like a zombie.


I really struggled with the photos, I think it took about 20 minutes to paint but 40 minutes messing around with the camera settings. I eventually settled on my usual green background as more monotone backgrounds came out terrible.


On deck at the moment are many more Napoleonic figures and I hope to have at least a unit of light dragoons finished before the end of the year.



16 comments:

  1. And you are off to the races! Merry Christmas, Paul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathan, a very Merry Christmas to you too

      Delete
  2. Excellent start to the challenge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely figures, vignettes...and splendid duckpond !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil, I think it is the favourite of my entries.

      Delete
  4. Splendid work there mate! Must ask... what brands or types of tufts do you use?
    Cheers
    Matt (The Wargames Table)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt
      I use the Army Painter ones, they are readily available in three local gaming shops.
      I typically use a mix of Swamp, Mountain and Highland

      Delete
  5. A flying start there, particularly like the duck pond and greyscale chap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, I certainly made a splash with the duck pond

      Delete
  6. A cracking start mate - love the duck pond!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely Napoleonic command, Scrivs. Full of action and movement. Terrain is awesome too.

    ReplyDelete