Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

All rights reserved. This work may not be reproduced, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of the creator.

Thursday 16 January 2020

Almoravid command stand


It's been ages since the El Cid collection got any love, but, one of the Challenge Island challenges over at the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge site is "Docherty's Dock" which involves painting a vignette with a came. Well, I'm sure I have some camels of unknown provenance in the bit's box, but what to do with them?

It's been an absolute age since I added anything new to my Almoravid horde - checks, blog, nearly 3 years - but a scouring of the lead mountain revealed not only ten camels, but some left over Gripping Beast minis, including a mounted drummer who could be bodged onto one of the camels, although is pose is a little awkward, having ridden a camel though I think sitting awkwardly on them is the default.


Of the two rather splendid commanders the one on the right is Abid al-Docherty, ex of the Black Guard and now serving as leader of this merry bunch, on the left is loyal bodyguard Jaysh al-Millsy.


The ensemble is completed with a spearman and standard bearer.


All are done in the white/blue/gold scheme that is the theme throughout my Berber horde. It's quite propitious as I think I needed to do a few more command stands anyways.


You can view my entry in the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge here.

25 comments:

  1. Great composition and brushwork, Scrivs. Love the way the camel fits in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, bit of a bodge but I think it works.

      Delete
  2. Fabulous brushwork Scrivs. I like that you worked in a camel!

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the blue and yellow scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome looking command stand, Paul! As Phil says, the blue and straw yellow is great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marvellous painting Mr Scrivs! A nice little vignette too.
    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing shade of blue! I remember admiring this army in WAB days as I too had this range in my Arab army.
    Best wishes,
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks awesome Paul. What rules do you use for the time period?

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim.
      I Started off using WAB, but if I want to get the entire collection out there is too much for that, so these days most big games are using To The Strongest! or Hail Caesar.

      Delete
  8. Thanks Paul, I'll check out To the strongest

    ReplyDelete