Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

All rights reserved. This work may not be reproduced, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of the creator.

Tuesday 31 March 2020

Star Wars: Legion - Crashed Escape Pod


Just before the lock-down I picked up the Crashed Escape Pod from our local games store. After all, who could not want R2-D2 and C3-PO as either a part of your force or just wandering around your battlefield.

It's a hefty price tag to just get these two, but I figured I'll have my outgoings severely curtailed over the next few months!

Firstly the droids themselves.


Both droids are on a single frame in the set and there is a lot more assembly than usual for the Star Wars: Legion stuff. But, both go together quite easily.

After assembly both droids were primed with matt white spray primer.


I started on C3-PO with a basecoat of VMC Golden Brown and then applied a wash of VMC Brass. Subsequent glazes with more VMC Gold added to the Brass.


Now, it's little noted, but for Episodes 3 through 6 C3-POs lower right leg should be silver, just like in the films it should be quite subtle. I did this in VMC Gunmetal Grey highlighted with VMC Silver.


Silver dots for the eyes and a dark grey mid-rift completed the paint job. I just added detailing with W&N Peat Brown ink on the gold and W&N black ink on the silver.


I made a start on R2-D2 next, over his white primer I did a thin wash of VMC  Pale Grey to highlight the detail, his dome was painted in VMC Gunmetal Grey.


The blue was picked out with VMC Dark Prussian Blue and highlighted with VMC Royal Blue, The dome was highlighted again in VMC Silver.


The front 'eye' was a dot of red, while his rear eye was a dot of green.


To finish him off a few areas were picked out in W&N black ink.


Lastly the crashed escape pod. I wanted this to look quite battered from both a lack of maintenance and it's trip through the atmosphere.

I used a buff coloured primer then gave the whole thing a base-coat of VMC French Horizon Blue, but ensured that the paint was very streaky, making it thinner in some patches than others.


Some panels were painted in different shades of grey, as if they had been 'borrowed' from another escape pod. I then added a lot of black-grey on the exhaust ports and as streaks along the side of the ship.


Using a Tamiya weathering kit I added moor streaks of black soot.


The base was quite a simple point job with one highlight on the rocks and then a dry-brush that rather did show up the 3D printing lines on the model.


It's quite an expensive set, but I think it will be a fun addition to our games.


11 comments: